Today I am delighted to welcome back Becky to the Blog with our 6 part series on healthy dinners. Becky has already been on the blog talking about healthy breakfasts and healthy lunches. So far in this dinner series she has looked at Green Smoothies, Frittata and Roast Chicken and Roasted Vegetables
This weeks healthy dinner is Fish, Rice and Greens, one of Becky’s current favourite dinners.
I’ll pass you over to Becky……….
Fish, Rice and Greens
This is probably my favourite meal right now! I would personally choose a fillet of Sea bass or Salmon (I buy frozen fillets as they defrost quickly yet are always an easy option) although any fish or even chicken, pork or beef would do. High quality organic or local meat is your best option.
For a vegan, I would consider adding a lentil dhal to complete the meal. I would also probably omit the soy sauce in the greens and just have garlic and ginger and chilli.
- Fish (fillets unless you are feeling adventurous in which case go to a local fishmonger and get advice on cooking a beautiful fresh whole fish – remember to buy sustainably caught fish)
- Greens (Any greens will do, just one type or a mix, but my favourite suggestions are green beans, broccoli, kale, spinach)
- Rice (brown basmati is the healthiest and most filling choice)
- Soy Sauce
- Optional: ginger, Chillies, spring onion
- Oil for stir frying, preferably coconut or groundnut
STEP 1) Measure out rice based on packet instructions.
STEP 2) Steam fish and rice together, you probably need to add the rice first, and maybe add fish for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking – approximately 5 minutes for a very thin slice of fish, or approximately 10 for a normal sized salmon fillet.
STEP 3) Chop garlic and add to the wok. Add chopped ginger and chillies too if you fancy a bit more kick!
STEP 4) Add the greens and stir fry. You may want to sprinkle water into the wok to help with steaming the greens. Leaves such as spinach and kale, and green beans, will take approximately 5 minutes maximum, but broccoli florets may take a little longer.
STEP 5) Serve!
I hope you like this as much as I do. I think it’s full of flavour, and full of goodness.
Have a great Day!
Love Becky xx